Sunday, January 31, 2010

Our two-year anniversary


One thing I marvel about a lot is how so many couples I encounter seem so perfectly created for one another. It’s AMAZING, and only points One way. It’s just amazing. Do they have differences? Of course! But even those differences, so often, compliment one another beautifully. And the similarities... I just really can never get over it. If you haven’t thought about it or noticed it before, I really encourage to take note as you spend time with different couples.


Along with this, I marvel often about just how perfectly Dave and I were created for one another. Even our flaws are perfectly in place to grow each other, as we have experienced a time or two! :) But I am constantly astounded as somehow our hearts only grow more and more aligned, as we know and understand each other in a way that no one else can, as somehow we only grow to like each other more. I am so thankful for hours and hours of conversation with my best friend about any and everything, and for what a wonderful two years we’ve had already.


I remember when Dave and I first met, 5 years ago. He had his two turtles with him, Sean and Kenny. I thought he was really cool. We didn’t really become good friends until about 6 months later, our junior year, and I was inspired and challenged by this awesome guy who was super fun and had a fire that was visible to all who came into contact with him. I had the honor of breaking into his circle of friends, and the more and more we got to know each other I think the more evident it was to us how much we liked each other as people and how well we got along. Our personalities and passions were pretty similar, and slowly, somehow, we became great friends. The summer before our senior year he stayed in Harrisonburg for the summer and I went back to Norfolk. I don’t think he’d ever called me before on a break, but he did this time. And we just had a great time talking, as we always did in person. By the time I got back to school in fall, it was over. Somehow he’d become the person I wanted to tell everything to. Somehow he’d become the person I thought about... and tried to avoid, though I desperately wanted to spend time with him. It was official- I had a major crush. But I was sure that he didn’t feel the same way! Months went by of us remaining great friends while I tried to keep my distance for the sake of my little heart, but one fateful evening, at a party at my house, he knocked on my door.
“Can we talk?” he said. I will never forget it! Sure that I was about to get a let me down easy talk, I said okay. And then, those words, sweet words: “I like you! And I have for a long time. And I tried not to. But I just do. And I know it doesn’t make sense, because I’m about to go to the other side of the world for the next year. But you don’t date someone because it’s practical, you date someone to see if you’re compatible to spend the rest of your life with them.” Well, I guess that’s more the story for our dating anniversary, but our wedding story will just have to wait.

Such a happy night! And, as you probably know, we were quite compatible, and we now get to spend the rest of our lives together (D.V.) Things have only gotten sweeter with the one I love, and I can’t wait to see what the next year has in store.

Happy anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment