Thursday, February 25, 2010

And the award for best three dollars spent this week goes to...

My haircut!! Forget Supercuts! And I would like to clarify that this is not just any haircut. This is a wash, blow and dry. And by wash I mean a ten-minute head massage. It is pretty amazing to watch! You sit in the chair, not over a sink, and they spray a little water onto the top of your head. Then they add some shampoo and massage. A little more water, a little more shampoo, a little more massage. On and on. And then, all of your hair has shampoo on it and is resting on the top of your head, and they just keep on massaging! The whole time I was thinking, 'I can't believe I haven't done this until now!...' They wash it out using a sink, and then cut and blow-dry straight. Forget century-old buildings, this is a must-do for visitors.

In other news... we start class tomorrow! We are really looking forward to it. Though it has been a sweet, fruitful and beneficial month of students being gone and not having traditional class, we are also really looking forward to starting class again and getting to start meeting more people. I think it's kind of nice to start on a Friday...eases you into it ;) Going to sign up for class on Monday provided a joyful reunion between me and my teacher from last semester. I also got to see a Korean classmate I was really hoping to see...I hope we'll be in the same class again this next semester. We'll keep you posted as we head into our second semester. Hard to believe it, time has flown by! We have been here for 6 months...3 days ago. So thankful for the One who has been with us every single second.

In case you like recipes, I have another one to post! Tonight for dinner I made a positively de-lish stir fry, courtesy of my mom sending the recipe (my mom and dad ate it for dinner a couple of nights ago). It was easy, we had all the ingredients on hand, I got to use our wok for the first time, and to top it all off, did I mention that it was de-lish!? (delicious, "to the lay person"). Yum, thanks mom!
Here's the recipe:

Easy Stir-fry Chicken and Broccoli
1 lb chicken breast strips
2 tbsp oil
4 c. veggies (broccoli, red and green pepper strips, sliced water chestnuts)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp brown sugar

Rice

Stir fry chicken in hot oil in large skillet until brown. Add vegetables; stir until done. Mix broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and sugar. Add to skillet. Boil, continue for 2 minutes. Prepare rice. Serve chicken mixture over hot rice.

Note: we didn't have cornstarch, so I used flour and doubled it, and it worked great!

Finally, I thought I'd post one of my favorite East Asian songs as of late. All I can do is post the link for the Youtube video (see below), which sounds a little different than the not-live version, but I thought someone might be interested. She has the same last name as us (a pretty rare last name, actually)-- 曾 (Zeng-- first tone, which is the high tone- like singing!-pronounced 'zung') The song is called: 狮子座 (shizi zuo, or "the lion's seat")
 狮子座

Happy listening, so, so thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment