Thursday, February 11, 2010

Adventures in the New Year

Hey guys!
Well, tonight is the night before New Year's Eve...restaurants are closed down near us because their owners have gone back to their hometowns, water tongs (big, big jugs of water) are being delivered by the high-heel clad owners because their workers have also gone back to their hometowns.... there is an excitement in the air and stores are clad in the "happy" color red. And we are pretty excited, too! Many a ren (person) has told us that we may be a little less excited once the NONSTOP fireworks begin, so we'll let you know. Tomorrow we have the privilege of spending the whole day with our tutor and her family, truly experiencing the culture! I am trying to figure out a good gift to take to her family. She said some gifts people give are flowers or fruit baskets. Another friend said the more practical and useful, the better (her mom usually gives dried shitake mushrooms, which are a big hit, apparently). I know our tutor's mom like white lilies, so if we can find those, that will be a must. I am also making cookies, a non-traditional East Asian/New Year's fare (most people don't have ovens). So goes our New Year's preparations! Perhaps I will write again in the wee hours of the night if the fireworks are keepin' us up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment